Monday 20 June 2016

THE SEAT - PEARL TALKS PROJECT FAME, KURO AND MORE...



Pearl


Remember the dashingly gorgeous and highly entertaining Olanma Pearl Awa - Agwu?


Yes!!, she was the 1st runner up at the MTN sponsored Project Fame West Africa, Season 8. The highly gifted soulful singer was a guest on The SEAT with our super host; Dareen, on Blaize TV, where she spoke with us exclusively on her latest wave making single 'KURO' amongst others. Enjoy excerpts from the interview. 

Dareen: Hello Pearl, How are you?
 Pearl: Am fine, thank you.
Dareen: We know Olanma Pearl is the first runner up of MTN project fame season 8, a graduate of UNN, what else is there to Pearl that we do not know?
Pearl:  I am a twin, i studied foreign languages French and Russian, and i am learning Spanish. I love volley ball and also love exercises, also i am a writer.
 
Dareen: At what point in your life did you decide on doing music?
Pearl: Music has always been there, all of my siblings sing, so i grew up in the sound of music.

Dareen: If it wasn't music, what would you be doing?
Pearl:  There are so many options, i have always liked the idea of wearing a suit and heels and also working in an embassy. I wanted to be an ambassador but the thought that i would have to travel alot and this would affect my family so i had to cancel that option.
Dareen: Prior to Project Fame, you were on Airtel Trace Music Star - are you considering going for another competition?
Pearl: No, simply because i have learnt what i wanted to learn and i have gotten the experience and my objective for those competition have been achieved.
Dareen: What are the things that has changed in your life since you became a star?
Pearl: “STAR” I  think is a very bougus term. I am not there yet, i still live a relatively normal life but then i have come to realize that i can't do regular 'girl things' anymore like “BIKING”. 

Dareen: Stardom comes with a prize - how have u handled the advances from men (we are sure they must have swam on you)
Pearl: I consider myself lucky because i haven’t had to go through any of that.
Dareen: Is Pearl currently in a relationship?
Pearl: NO
Dareen: 3 million is quite a sum - how did you invest that amount?
Pearl: After the academy, i fixed it, but right now my investment is dormant because i have invested in a business that i don’t have to show up or do one thing or the other. I will just give them then at some point, they would give me back with interest on it. 
Dareen: There are rumors that several music competition in Nigeria do not fulfill their promises - did Project Fame fulfil all of theirs?
Pearl: YES, They did fulfill their promises, i have to commended them for that. 
Dareen: Your latest track KURO; is that your first official single?
Pearl:  YES 


Dareen: KURO is quite deep - what inspired that song, was it what you were going through at that point in time?
Pearl: A lot of people ask me that, my single “KURO” is just basically about my experience in the music industry because when i started a lot of people tried to change my style so when i said “ i wont back down” in my song, i was saying that this is who i am and nobody can change that or make me to become somebody else 

Dareen: What has been the response to that song from your fans?
Pearl: Great responses so far, my fans are loyal.
Dareen: What are we to expect from you soon; a video to Kuro or more singles?
Pearl: Definately a video for “KURO” which would drop probably by the end of July.

Simi and Pearl
Dareen: Do you have any collaboration already done or lined up? (Names please)
Pearl: Yes back at d academy, i did a remix of “KEDIKE” with CHIDIMA EKELE and i had an original song with YEMI ALADE titled “WHAT EVER YOU DO” then after the academy i did a song with IYANYA , TOSSY YOUNG and PRINCETON titled “FLEX” 
Dareen: Your twin sister Ruby is also an exceptional singer, should we look out for a duet or something similar from both of you?
Pearl: YES YES YES 

Pearl and Ruby

Dareen: Do you think being talented is enough to make the cut in the music industry?
Pearl: I think its about talent and your drive.
Dareen: Do you also believe in the school of thought that it is harder for a female to make it in the Nigerian music industry?
Pearl: HA!!! I believe so much, because as a female musician, you already sound like other female musician. So you have to strive to be different, as a woman there is a stereotype that you have to sex appeal, you see practically all the woman in the industry trying to sell the same thing and this basically pushes them to the same market so i think we female musician need to explore, try something different. I respect ASA alot for that.
Dareen: There is this debate about the legalization of Gayism  and Lesbianism  - what is your view on this?
Pearl: Thats a deep question “ I am trying to imagine a world full of lesbianism and homosexuality” it is not pretty at all, its creeps me out.
Dareen: Who are your top 5 current favourite Nigerian singers?
Pearl: TIMI DAKOLO, DARE ART ALADE , YEMI ALADE, LIL KESH, FALZTHEBADHGUY.
Dareen: If you were to Slap, Kiss and Marry one of the following, who would it be - 2face, Timaya, Wizkid.
Pearl: I would slap TIMAYA (so sorry TIMAYA), I would kiss WIZKID, and i would marry 2FACE 
Dareen: You are very good with facial expressions when you sing - would you ever consider acting?
Pearl: I have considered acting and i like it because it would allow me to be plenty people that am not.

Dareen: For everyone out there looking up to you as a role model, what is your advice to them?
Pearl: Look up to God “ i am still a young girl and i would make mistakes so i implore that they should learn from my mistakes and follow their dreams.

Enjoy the following videos of Pearl:

We start off with her breathtaking performance of Loving You by Minnie Ripperton at the MTN Project Fame Academy


Performing Ololufe by Wande Coal - Pearl shows us why she is the real deal.

Also, watch Pearl perform 'Hurt' by Christina Aguilera

You can also enjoy this incredible mash up made by Free Me TV, featuring X3M Music diva Simi and Pearl. This is an absolute beauty.

Download KURO - a smashing new single from Pearl below, also remember to follow her on IG: Olapearl_Agwu.


4 comments:

  1. Nice one Pearl, your fan from day one. One thing I love and respect about you aside your talents is your maturity.You are so mature and I bless God on your behalf.As a fan, I always wish I know you in person and be more than a fan (a sister or an adviser, I always wish to be there all for you ) but since I can't, I pray God favours you and be that should and strength you will need, to add to everything that I have written, pls, NEVER DO anything without God's knowledge. In your hearts of hearts, just ask HIM and He will definately be there for you and all your decisions shall be IT!

    Another thing is, I follow you on social media and I must say you are a lovely person who always want everyone to be happy but I have seen people you are trying to be friends with (which is a positive thing) but THEY are not willing to be (I might be wrong) .Just continue to be who God wants you to be and never let Him out in all that you do.I thank God for your family, it is a rare previledge to have their supports,so, please never disappoint them and always make them proud.

    Kisses to Ruby and tell her she has been sleeping on a bicycle, we want to see more of the talents that is in her.

    Shalom my beautiful angel, God blessings always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this comment.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much dear! I appreciate your advice and I will implement it! Thank you for being a true supporter and taking your time to give words of encouragement and advice. God bless you!!!!

      Delete
  2. i read a lot of stuff and i found that the way of writing to clearifing that exactly want to say was very good so i am impressed and ilike to come again in future.. FameProject

    ReplyDelete